Productions in BC can apply for provincial and federal tax credit programs and if eligible, producers can factor exceptional savings into their budgeting.
British Columbia Tax Credits -FIBC
Film Incentive BC (FIBC) is a refundable corporate tax credit. When filing tax returns, production corporations may claim a specified percentage of the labour costs incurred in making film, television, digital animation or visual effects productions. the credits are applied to reduce tax payable and any remaining balance is paid to the corporation.
Components are as follows:
- FIBC BASIC: 35% of qualified British Columbia labour expenditure of the corporation.
- REGIONAL: 12.5% of the qualified British Columbia laour expenditure of the corporation prorated by the number of principal photography days in BC outside of the dsingated Vancouver area to the total days of principal photography in BC. This tax credit is accessed in conjunction with the BASIC tax credit.
- DISTANT LOCATION REGIONAL: 6% Pro-rated by the number of days of principal photography filmed in the Okanagan/Similkameen/Boundary Regions to the total days of principal photography in BC. This credit is accessed in conjunction with the Regional tax credit.
- TRAINING: 30% to a BC based individual registered in an approved training program. Please contact the Okangan Film Commission for an up-to-date list of accredited programs.
- DAVE [Digital animation or visual effects]: 17.5% of BC labour expenditures directly attributable to these areas. Accessed in conjunction with the Basic tax credit.
Canadian Federal Tax Credit with FIBC
The objective of the CPTC is to encourage Canadian programming and to develop an active domestic production sector.
This fully refundable credit is available at the rate of 25 per cent of the qualified labour expenditure of an eligible production.
British Columbia Tax Credits -PSTC
The British Columbia Production Services Tax Credit (PSTC) encourages film, television and animation production in BC and can be accessed by a broad range of foreign productions.
Components are as follows:
- PSTC basic tax credit of 25% of qualified labour costs.
- DISTANT REGION tax credit of 12% per cent pro-rated by the number of days of principal photography filmed in the Okanagan/Similkameen/Boundary Regions to the total days of principal photography in BC.
- DAVE digital animation or visual effects tax credit of 17.5% of BC labour expenditures directly attributable to these areas.
Canadian Federal Tax Credit with PSTC
The PSTC is designed to enhance Canada as a location of choice for film and video production employing talented Canadians, as well as strengthen the industry and secure investment. The PSTC is available at a rate of 16 per cent of qualified Canadian labour expenditures
For more information for British Columbia or Canada’s process, eligibility and time lines contact the designated program administrator:
2225 West Broadway
Canada V6K 2E4
Hours: 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday
Main Line | +1 604 736 7997
Motion Picture Services | +1 604 730 2732
Fax: | +1 604 736 7290
Robert Wong | Vice President, Tax Credits + Development + Acting Film Commissioner
Tel: +1 604 730 2236
(CAVCO) Canadian Audio-Visual Certification Office:
For more detailed information on Foreign and Domestic Tax Credit programs please download the reference materials created by BC Film.